WHERE: The Waldo Library, corner of McGee and 75th Street, KCMO 64114
WHEN: Sunday, December 6th from 2pm to 5pm.
WHAT: This is a 2nd Annual "Share the Love" Holiday party, however its the first time that Humanity's Team Kansas City is sponsoring it.
"Share the Love" is a special kind of party. We will be collecting donations from far and wide and we will be counting on YOU to help us bring them in and organize it all.
We will be providing a more detailed list of the donations needed, but all donations will be divided and distributed to 4 Kansas City area organizations:
1. Emancipation Station- a daytime place for homeless women in Kansas City and a frequent supplier of lunch for the needy. We will be assembling lunch sacks and collecting gently used items.
2. Gillis- helping Kansas City's at-risk children and families become contributing members of the community - with education, counseling and social services. We will be collecting books and other items, preferable new.
3. Sheffield Place- who's mission is to empower single mothers with children to break out of the cycle of homelessness and poverty and become self-sufficient. They provide long-term shelter and comprehensive services to fifteen families. We will be providing them with new items for their Holiday store. The store is available to Families who have earned points by completing programs that are essential to meeting their goals.
4. Give What You Got- providing children in foster care with the necessities they need, right here in our community. Whether entering care, celebrating a holiday, or simply meeting the day to day needs of children, they provide resources that comfort and brighten lives. We will be providing them with new and gently used items to be used for help with the various programs that they offer.
You can view each one's website, and look at their donations section to get an idea of the types of items they will be needing. We will need help with the following things:
1. Volunteers to pass the word to anyone and everyone. I will ask the Waldo Library if I can set up a collection place there, or find a way to accept donations leading up to the event. If anyone can do the same in their area and just bring it all with you to the library, that would help.
2. Volunteers to actually attend the event! Volunteers may help with organizing the donations into 4 separate groups, helping kids to wrap books and/or decorate the lunch sacks, and to help organize the lunch sacks and fill them up.
3. Kids! We need kids (and adults) to lend their creative gifts to making our lunch sacks look seasonable. It means so much to a homeless person to receive such a carefully packed meal in a decorated sack. Not to mention the energy that will go into the art itself!
Please email me if you can help with any of these items. I am in the process of creating a flier and will have the available to anyone who wants it.
I'm looking forward to seeing what our collective energy puts out!